Shibori and Indigo Dyeing with Debbie Maddy
Come learn shibori and indigo dyeing from Debby Maddy, one of Moda Fabric's most popular designers. Shibori is a Japanese manual resist dyeing technique, which produces patterns on fabric. In this 3 day class, you will learn the basics of shibori dyeing and take home a dyed silk scarf and many samples of several techniques that you create using your new skills.
- Brief explanation of Shibori and indigo dye.
- Explanation of different kinds of indigo vats; natural, synthetic and pre-reduced.
- Making of a pre-reduced indigo vat and a natural indigo vat.
- Explanation of Itajime Shibori and demonstrations of folding and clamping the fabric.
- We will then fold and clamp fabric to dye. I will also demo some marble wrapping and other fun techniques. The rest of the day will be spent working with the fabrics and dyeing.
- At the end of the day Debbie will explain the techniques to begin stitching for the stitched designs.
- Short review of the previous day.
- Brief explanation of Arashi Shibori and demos on more than one way to fold and wrap the fabrics on a pole for unique designs.
- Short explanation and demo on simple stitching techniques.
- Spend the day doing any of the techniques learned so far.
- Debbie will demo more advanced techniques for folding, wrapping, stitching to resisting the dye.
- On day three, we will continue working with all of the techniques. It gives students time for additional demos on resist techniques, especially if you want to do more detailed stitching techniques that are not commonly seen in one- and two-day classes.
Debbie Maddy's most recent endeavors have been in the world of fabric and fiber dyeing of all kinds but most specifically Shibori and Indigo dyeing. She has studied under some of the most prestigious artists in the US, Japan and England. She loves traveling to teach and speak for guilds and shops around the country. She dyes and sells items to wear and decorate with and is thrilled and honored to be a part of the Moda Fabrics designer family.
Class is Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, March 24th-26th 2022 10-5. We will break for lunch provided by Stitchology each day. We are unable to accommodate any food restrictions beyond vegetarianism.
The class fee includes the cost of indigo, 1 silk scarf and 3 lunches. You can purchase additional fabric and scarves if you wish.